Sunday, September 12, 2010

Forward Thinking Diaper Bag Review

I was able to do a review on a diaper bag made by a very inspirational WAHM named Cheryl,  she is the mama behind Forward Thinking if you haven't heard of her Please check her out on Facebook.  Heres the background behind Forward thinking that i got directly off her facebook page.  Cheryl if your reading this I hope you don't mind.

Some of you have been asking how Forward Thinking got started... so here is the story..







In April 2008 I was thrilled to find out we were going to have a baby. Expected due date January 2009. I wanted to cloth diaper my other children but thought I had to buy them all at once or nothing. Along with I heard from others that cloth is dirty, smelly, and disposable is just by far easier. So I went on to just disposables for both of my boys. I then decided with this child nothing was going to get in my way.. I would be eco friendly, teach my boys to help preserve the earth and save a ton of money. By the end of spring I was busy making diapers on my moms borrowed sewing machine. Cutting about t-shirts and fleece. I figured I would use snappies to hold the diapers closed.. Then after looking online at all the different types of diapers I thought hmmm... I could make prefolds into fitteds.. what a great idea I thought.. So I ordered some prefolds.. washed them 10 times... ironed them and started cutting.. put elastic in the waist and legs.. they were adorable... I couldn't wait to use them on my little boy.. I had also gone ahead and found a mama getting rid of some BG 3.0 so I purchased them. I made fleece covers for the fitteds.. I was set.. everything was washed and ready to go.






January 11 2009 came finally.. (as you pg moms know) I was so happy.. my water broke and off to the hospital we went. After a long labor our little boy still didn't want to appear. He was transverse.. with his stats and mine on a roller coaster the next step was a c-section. Shortly after being in the operating room Rowan James was born. He cried just like any other newborn.. but he didn't stop. The pediatric doctor came to us with Rowan and told us there was something wrong.. that he wasn't moving his right arm and that he had not only the normal soft spot on the top of his skull but also the whole back of his skull was not present. As I laid on the table, for what seemed eternity, my world felt like it was crashing down. Rowan was rushed to the NICU. No one knew what was wrong. After being sent to recovery and then finally a room, which by the way.. those who labor get fancy rooms, those who have a cs get small rooms.. hmmm who pays more?? lol Shortly after being in the room doctors started coming to talk to us. Not only was his left arm broken but also his right femur.. My god I thought how can this be. They started running test.. They called in a Genetic Specialist.. he came to talk to us 2 days after Rowan was born. He stated that there was three possiblities of what was wrong with Rowan.. All I remember is 1 meant he would die soon, 2 meant he would break bones for the rest of his life. No one could tell us for sure. So we had him transferred to a hospital downtown under the care of the Genetic Doctor. In the mean time I had lost so much blood that I need 4 infusions. I had double pneumonia and my blood levels needed to increase in order for me to be released. The sooner I was released the sooner I could see my baby boy. The next evening I was released. Going home without my little boy broke my heart. I was in pain.. not only did I have the c-sections.. but had torn a great deal of abdominal muscles throughout my pregnancy from Rowan being transverse.






The next day I picked myself up and we went downtown to Rowan. It seemed forever to get there. There were no wheelchairs available so I had to walk to him. What takes a normal person ten minutes to walk took me step by step a whole forty five minutes. Rowan not only had the soft spot on his skull, left arm broken and right femur but also his left femur was broken. Rowan spent the next month in the care of the best nurses and doctors. I would bring all the expressed milk that I pumped and pump while at the hospital. Over the next month I only missed two days with my little boy and that was because of peer exhaustion. I remember when they told us what was wrong.. It was narrowed down to Osteogenious Imperfecta, Brittle Bone Disease. They were guessing he was Type III. Rowan has bowing to his arm bones and leg bones, his rib cage is deformed and he will have a short stature. But my boy is alive..






I had to quit my job in finance to stay home to take care of him. In order to deal with the stress I started sewing again. I started making the most adorable diapers for Rowan.. then swim diapers. He was sooo cute. I loved them. They were soft and cuddly.. whats better to put on a little boy with brittle bone.. I posted a photo on Diaperswappers and a mom contacted me asking if she could purchase some. I was excited!! From there out I started selling and creating Forward Thinking. Providing a supplemental income for my family and enjoying time with my boys.






Today Rowan is doing great.. He has hit a ton of milestones... and recently underwent Rodding surgery for his femurs and tibs. That was June 2.. he is already crawling and getting up on his knees to play with toys.. soon he will be pulling to stand and I am sure on his way to walking.






I cant thank all you mamas who have purchased or plan on purchasing in the future for your business. You all mean a great deal to me. I will stand by my merchandise, I look forward to coming out with new product and sharing all my milestones as a small business with you.

I was lucky enough to test out her orange bird Bag.  Here is what I Thought about it.  I loved the bag the print was super cute, The size was great even for two kids.  I was able two fit some diapers for both of my kids and a few outfits for charlee.  I do wish the bag was a little bit bigger only cause I couldnt fit a chane of clothes for Audrianna or her nutren jr for her bolus feeds.  I do wish the bag could zip shut.  But other then that the bag is great its comforable, it fits perfectly on the back of a stroller or even a wheelchair.  And it doesnt just have to be used as a diaper bag It would make a good bag for library books, beach towels, Fruits and Vegetables from the farmers market.  we love to go to the farmers market.  a quick trip to the grocery store I wouldnt recommend putting a ton of canned goods in it.  Theres just so many things you can use the bag for. 
Outside of the bag
inside with two pockets
all contents in bag
loaded and ready to go

6 size 6 disposable diapers (audriannas), a pack of disposable changing pads, 1 dream eze size small, a rumparooz lil joey, 2 bumgenius size small and xtra small, a thirsties xsmall cover and a xsmall thirsties fab fitted, and 3 newborn footed jammies )



No comments: