Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cloth Vs Disposable

I recently entered a contest about being new to cloth.  and I had to write an essay for it, well it got me to thinking really hard about our choice in this house to use cloth.  And wow did I do alot of thinking. Since I only have a child in disposables at the moment I can pretty much only give you my experience of that.

Cost:  Audrianna goes through 3 cases of size 6 diapers a month this past month we bought up and up brand at target which has 90 diapers in the case or somewhere close not exactly sure cause i already recycled the box.   anyways thats $14.00 a case  and a case of sposie wipes is 12.00 the wipes will last us quite some time especially now that we have converted to using cloth wipes, but we dont have much cloth wipes yet so we will need the sposies for when the cloth is in the wash.  anyways just to keep her in diapers for a month thats about 54.00 before taxes.  and since theres 12 months in a year thats 648.00 we spend a year.  Shes been in sposies for about 5 years we did have a yr break where we tried out cloth and I don't think we even did it for a full year so figure $648.00 times 5 years.  Thats 3,240.00 that we have spent so far it may be a bit more since before we came across up and up brand we were buying pampers and huggies and well those are expensive.   It kinda makes me sick thinking that I am contributing to the waste from the diapers that are going into the landfills. cause if you think about it we go through 270 diapers a month in this house if i devide that by say 30 because theres 30 days in a month sometimes 31 Audrianna goes through 9 diapers a day.   and since theres 365 days a year that means she goes through 3,825 diapers a year that means that we have put 19,125 diapers into the landfill alone thats pretty gross.  and since its estimated to take 250-500 years for those diapers to decompose thats really really bad thats a lot of pollution to the earth. 

Now what about the health of my child who already has health issues. 
If you use disposables have you ever thought about what your really putting on your childs bum? 
Disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin, an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process. It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals. It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S

Disposable diapers contain Tributyl-tin (TBT) - a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals

Disposable diapers contain sodium polyacrylate, a type of super absorbent polymer (SAP), which becomes a gel-like substance when wet. A similar substance had been used in super-absorbency tampons until the early 1980s when it was revealed that the material increased the risk of toxic shock syndrome by increasing absorbency and improving the environment for the growth of toxin-producing bacteria.

That is all pretty scary stuff.  Its been said that kids in disposable diapers get more rashes I honestly cant weigh in my input on this subject because in 5 years I think Audrianna has only had one diaper rash.

Ok so now so far what I have learned about cloth diapers
 first cost wise so far we have spent $400.00 on cloth diapers for once charlee gets here, Im thinking 600.00 total and we will have enough diapers from birth to potty training only cause I bout newborn and small and then the rest are one size.  we do have a few of audriannas med/lg sized cloth diapers left too.  I have heard about many moms spending alot more then that on cloth diapers because lets face it there are wayy to many cute diapers out there and i can see getting carried away with all the different styles and prints.  But because we can't afford to buy diapers for there looks we are buying only what we need If I was going to have another child then maybe I would buy a bit more because the diapers can be used for each child but thats not the case in this house Charlee will be the last baby unless we adopt years later.  My plan however is to either resell or donate to another mama who needs them when were done.  I dont know alot of local cding moms.  But still 600.00 to gave her in cloth diapers for lets say 3 years cause I am hoping to have her potty trained by then.  compared to the $648.00 a year we spend on audrianna to have her in disposable diapers thats a huge difference.

No comments: