This is about my life with my 5 yr old daughter who has mild to moderate spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy, Schizencephaly ,Partial Seizures, Allergies, Asthma. And the challenges we are faced with on a daily basis along with the new challenges that we will be faced with as our family expands to include another baby girl.
Sunday, July 8, 2007
I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy until I was around 27 weeks of pregnancy. Before that My OBGYN suggested I didn't lift anything more then 5lbs cause I worked at a grocery store and she didnt think itw as safe for me to be bringing in carriages or lifting heavy grocery bags to put in the shopping carts of customers so I needed a dr's note and she gave me one. Everything was going great I was eating well going to all my checkups, the ultrasounds looked fine. Then around 25 weeks I had went disco bowling with my fiance and his friends. They bowling alley was pretty loud with there music. They started to play eminem I cant recall which song it was and as soon as they started playing it i felt a little pain in my tummy then in went away so I went to bowl using one of the 2lb kids balls or whatever they are called and right after I made a strike I started feeling contractions i figured they were braxton hicks contractions they werent true labor contractions. So my fiance had me sit out the rest of the game and relax. We called my OB the next morning She had me come in right away and i got hooked up to check for contractions. Turns out I was in preterm labor and she put me on bed rest and wrote me up a dr's note to stay out of work till after the baby was born. I was in and out of the OB's office every other day and hooked up to monitors. I had to go to the hospital and get the steroid shots to mature audriannas kungs and then a shot to stop the contractions. Well it didnt work to well cause I was still having small contractions. They also did one of the in depth ultrasounds and found out Audrianna had what they call a Chiroid plexxus Cyst that it was something that occurred in quite a few ultrasounds but most of the time isnt picked up. We were told to schedule another ultrsound in 4 weeks so we did and the cyst was gone. I still was having mild contrations but wasnt dilated or anything so we just did the same routine in and out of the dr's office and hospital being hooked up to monitors. I was told I could only get up to use the bathroom cause the OB was afraid Audrianna would just fall out she said if me or df reached up there we could feel audriannas head. Well We were told that if I made it past 35 weeks we could deliver Audrianna at the hospital that I had on my birthing plan if not we had to deliver were at the other local hospital a few minutes away so Since I hate that hospital I prayed and prayed audrianna would stay in. Everyone joked I would have audrianna on April Fools day. The OB didnt even think I would make it that far. On April 3rd we went in for another ultrasound. They were a little concerned cause of the amount of amniotic fluid and it was only on one side of audriannas body. So they scheduled me to be induced for 3pm the next day. So I went home df and I tried to get a few things ready we hadnt even had a baby shower yet. That night I packed up teh hospital bags and put together and outfit for audrianna to wear home. I crawled into bed afterwards my fiance was watching futurerama in bed it was really late I fell asleep and so did my fiance we had only been sleeping for an hr. When I woke up I suddenly had the Urge to pee. So I stood up to go to the bathroom and as soon as I stood up I felt water trickle down my leg so I ran to the bathroom yelling oh s&*^ over and over again. Df heard this and immediatly got dressed and starteed to gather up our things. I wasnt sure what was going on I still thought I peed myself so As I was walking around it wasnt stopping I called my OBGYN and called my mom cause I was oblivious as to what to do since I didnt take the birthing classes I went into preterm labor the day I was supposed to start classes. Then Df loaded up the car. I was freaking out we didn't even have a car seat. I knocked on my sisters door she lived downstairs from us it was 2am and I woke her up to ask her for the biggest maxi pad she could fine yep I must be crazy waking people up at 2am. My sister had one that god. Then I hopped into Our 1995 ford mustang with leather interior we rushed to the hospital didnt even hit a red light. The whole time my fiance was asking me if i was ok and all i kept saying was please dont let me deliver this baby in the car I dont want to ruin the mustang lol. We got to the hosptal and rang the late night buzzer. We were let in I was given a gown and a pad and told to walk around and wait for my water to break they didnt think it really broke they had to be sure. I gave them quite a few pads and boy was I angry. Everytime I walked by the nursery I would have a contraction. Finally when they were positive my water broke they got me my own room. My fiance called my parents first it was around 5am and then he called his mom (her and I dont get along will add to this later) My mom is a teachers aide for kids with disabilities at the local middle school. She caleld out of work to be with me at the hospital. She showed up around 7am and my fiances mother shortly afterwards. My mom was trying to talk to me and his mom was interrupting her it was really annoying me and i was getting so frusterated. The monitor was showing I was having intense contrations but I wasnt feeling them i wasnt even dialating. They did an ultrasound sand audriannas face was facing my spine so they said delivery would be painful and gave me an epidural. As soon as I got the epidural Audianna flipped herself audrianna flipped herself around i was so mad I want to have a natural childbirth no pain meds. Well it took me 12 hrs of labor to completly dialate they had to give me pitocin to help speed things along i was so out of it at that point I had my mom, dad, my fiance, his mom, his brother, my sister, my daughters godmother all in the room then I felt the need to push so the dr's had everyone leave the room my OB was in surgery so she couldnt make it, They told me to do a few practice pushes I did one practice push and Audrianna started to crown I asked for the females to come back in the room of coure my fiance was in the room. My sister was using the camera and audriannas godmother the video camera from my feet up angle. My mom and his mom were holding my hands trying to talk to me his mom kept pushing my mom out of the way. I was really annoyed but felt it was to late to ask her to leave the room. My second push and audriannas head was out delivering the rest of her was pretty hard. I was looking in the mirror and thought I was delievering a basket ball. My fiance was saying wow she looks so beautiful when she was just crowning and i made a remark like how would u know thats only the top of her head. Then when he said I was doing great I told him to try pushing a baseball out of his u know what. Yep all this caught on tape. I didnt swear though. 12hrs and 20 minutes later audrianna was born. The 20 minutes was actual delivery. She was born at 2:56pm on April 4th 2005 4 minutes before I had been scheduled to be induced talk about timing. She weighed 5lbs 12oz and was 17inches long her apgar was 8 9 9. She was slightly jaundice. Hating being placed in the bedside bassinet so she slept in my arms I didnt sleep the 3 days we were at the hospital we tried to nurse but she was having a little bit of a latching issue but since I wanted her to have breast milk I pumped and she drank that and formula. When we arrived home we were quite busy. Audrianna slept in the carseat most of teh time or the cosleeper or my arms she hated to lay flat on her back, she hated her head being touched. But she was an excellent sleeper. we had to go out and get preemie diapers and preemie clothes cause newborn diapers and clothes didnt fit her they were way to big on her. She even fit in build a bear clothes at 5 months old. My milk came in two days after we got home and boy oh boy did it come in the visiting nurse said if she were to take pictures of me and develop them at cvs they would be considered in decent my boobs didnt fit well in my tank top and they were huge. And I am a pretty tiny girl. Audrianna did start to nurse she was pretty good at it. I went to back to work april 16th 2005 so I pumped and left my fiance with our daughter she had a hard time being away from me and I had an awful time being away from her so I scheduled it so I was only working 4hrs a day so that I could feed audrianna before I left leave a bottle for her and then nurse as soon as I got home. we also did end up having two baby showers. Oh yeah about the carseat my fiance picked it up and surprised me with it at the hospital the day we were leaving I was so shocked he knew my mom had it the whole time. Ok around 5 months we noticed something just wasnt right with audrianna. She wasnt holding a rattle, she kept her hands fisted and could only roll belly to back. She was babbling but not much and she did have very good head control. So I called a nearbu EI office thanks to my moms suggestion and we scheduled an Evaluation for audrianna a few weeks later they said something was definatly not right with Audrianna so we made all the appointments we needed with a neuro ect. Sure enough at 7 month we got the official diagnoses our baby girl had Cerebral Palsy. We started working with a PT and Ot weekly. Right before Audrianna turned one she ended up hospitalized with A bad case of RSV. She had a bad cold so we brought her to the Pediatricians office he ran an RSV test and sent us home to wait for the results he thought it was just a cold we needed to run to the store to get soem groceries we waited till 7pm to go shopping i hadnt heard from the pediatrician yet. As we were on out way to the store Audrianna started to act real funny she started wheezing bad and acted very very lethargic she couldnt even hold her head up I called the night nurse and she said the results were negative so we were told to rush to the hospital we went to the hospital in our city and Audrianna was monitored we were almost sent home even though she wasnt breahing well thankfully an EMT walked by and peeked in and noticed how teeny audrianna was she was only 9lbs at 5months so He made sure we were rushed to the childrens hospital in the next city. the RSV test that they redid at the first hospital was negative but by the time we got to the childrens hospital audrianna was on oxygen her breathing was very shallow. The childrens hospital did a redo on the RSV test and a chest Xray Audriannas lower lobe in her lung was completly collapsed she also had RSV and pnemonia we were there for a week she was on a nebulizer and meds. She got better and we had a whiel of recuperation time before we had her 1st birthday party. We started to do Ot, PT and Slp 1hrs a day. We had also moved itno our new place. Once we moved audrianna started developing pretty quickly she learned to commando crawl and roll both ways, hold her bottle. Close to her 2nd xmas she started to get on all fours and then a few months before gher 2nd birthday she learned how to crawl she had already been pulling to stand. She got her first botox injections and phenol nerver block on March 15th Well a week later we ended up in the hospital the botox some how got in her blood stream and was starting to paralyze her and put cause a little bit of respitory problems she was monitored for a week and a half then she was well enought to go home only to go back the same day with Rotavirus. We are working on sitting now she gets Pt,Slp, and Ot 2hrs a day she goes to playgroup twice a week and will be starting preschool when shes 3 we are still waiting for her to talk and walk on her own. She does use a walker. I am stillhoping for the day I hear her say I love you mommy. But for now I am happy with the few words she can say. even the days she calls me and everyone else dada.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment